Reviewed by Victoria Daubney
Upon opening my delivery I was pleased to see that the packaging was minimal, but because of this it was not very interesting or informative. Literally just a clear plastic wallet containing a CD and the dongle. While it was good that I didn’t have to fight my way through a molded, plastic cover to get to the items I personally would have liked some sort of basic introduction as to what the item was, even if just to clarify it was the actual item that I had ordered.
The dongle itself is even smaller than I imagined it to be, it was the same size as the top of my thumb. Perfectly sized, with only 1cm of it protruding from the USB port once inserted. This makes it easy to use in any USB, be it at the front, side or back of the computer. It has a small blue light on that indicates it’s in correctly, but is not too bright as to be distracting.
There were no instructions with the item so it was a case of inserting the disk and taking it from there. The initial step by step installation was simple enough and loaded within a few minutes. I was dreading not having an instruction booklet, but to be honest I found it really simple to use. I do think however, anyone who wasn’t confident with computers and software might find it a bit daunting being expected just to go for it without some kind of guidance.
I wanted the dongle to be able to send photographs from my phone to the computer. I just selected the Bluetooth icon from the bottom of my screen, which took me into pair my device. Within a few minutes my phone and computer were linked and my pictures were being sent. Really great solution if you have lost your lead for linking your phone to the computer.
Having seen how easy this item is to use and link up to a device it would definitely encourage me to purchase other Bluetooth items to use with it, such as a mouse, keyboard or speaker. Another bonus to help get rid of some of these wires that are always cluttering the desk up and getting in the way.
Overall I think the item could have had a little more detail on the packaging side and included some kind of brief instructions, but I found it easy to use and quick to install. I’d recommend this to anyone looking for a Bluetooth adapter, and look forward to trying it with more items myself. I’d rate this product 3.5 out of 5.
– Compact and highly portable with size: 26x16x7mm, weight 2.2g
– Bluetooth 4.0, backwards compatibility with classic Bluetooth (1.x, 2.x and 3.x) devices
– Convert non Bluetooth PC into Bluethooth enabled, Wireless connect to Bluetooth devices; Enable wireless connection to mobile phones, PDA, PC, headset
– Completely gilded plug module, avoiding oxidation, robust and durable
– Physical Interface: USB2.0; Build-in with well-known Broadcom BCM20702 Chipset
– Transmission rate: up to 3Mb/s; Transmission distance: up to 10m (30 feet) without interferences
– Energy saving through intelligent sleep and wake-up command features; Effectively avoids interferences by utilising 24bit CRC surveillance
– Support EDR Widcomm Bluetooth software and A2DP stereo
Supported Operating Systems
Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 – Driver is needed for audio transmission. For document transfer, not needed
Windows 8, 8.1 – Driver not needed (with built-in drivers, drivers not needed for most common profiles)
Wireless Bluetooth keyboards, mice, headsets, speakers, printers, PS3 handles, modems, serial devices, phones, and more.
Available to buy from Amazon here.