9 Things You Didn’t Know Damp Can Cause


Mould in the home is an unsightly defect of high levels of vapour in the air, causing walls and other surfaces to absorb the moisture. Window sills, timber structures and walls of poorly ventilated and stuffy rooms are most susceptible to damp mould.

Aside from being a nuisance to manage in the home, damp in the house can be the cause of a number of issues that you may or may not easily link to contact with mould spores. Some of the things that can be triggered by damp are:


If your home is suffering from damp and black mould is present, you might be finding that you are suffering more and more from headaches. This is due to the excess moisture levels and mould toxins in the air that causes respiratory problems, prohibiting the body from functioning as well as it otherwise would.

Itchy Eyes

Itchy and irritated eyes are a common symptom of damp in the home. This can be as a result of an allergic reaction to mould spores or due to high levels of moisture in the air which can irritate the eye. The reaction causes the release of histamine, which can instigate watery eyes.

Blocked Nose

As well as affecting the body’s respiration, damp mould can also have an adverse effect on the body’s immune system. Those that already have a poor immune system are likely to develop sickness bugs much quicker in a damp environment – one such symptom of this is a blocked nose.


If the sight of mould spores in the home is unsightly, then you certainly will not welcome flies buzzing around your house. Flies are known to be attracted to mould and, because of these, can often be found flying around damp homes. If your home is attracting flies but you cannot see any obvious signs of mould it might be worth checking the basement for any sign of damp as this could be the root cause. You can find out more here on basement tanking.


Pleurisy is when the tissue (pleura) separating the lungs and ribcage becomes inflamed. Common symptoms include sharp pains in the chest and, sometimes, the shoulder. Unless the cause of pleurisy, which can be damp in the home, is treated quickly there can be long-lasting damage to the lungs.


Croup, or laryngotracheobronchitis to give it its medical name, is a respiratory infection that affects babies and toddlers. Young children growing up in households riddled with damp are most at risk of forming the illness. The infection causes swelling of the trachea which can then make it hard to breathe. Other symptoms of croup include a hoarse voice and a bark-like cough.


Although damp does not cause asthma itself, it can bring about asthma attacks due to the high levels of moisture in the air. People that suffer from asthma are most susceptible to respiratory issues and should avoid contact with damp wherever possible.

Sore Throat

Just like other cold and flu-like symptoms that can be brought on by damp, sore throats also find their way onto the list. Those that have an allergy to mould spores are, again, more likely to contract a sore throat when in contact with damp, developing a viral infection.

Irritated Skin

One of the most common types of allergic reactions is irritated skin, such as rashes and/or uncomfortable itchiness. It is likely that irritated skin will occur in conjunction with other symptoms that have been mentioned in this list, particularly if you are allergic to mould spores.

Collaborative post
Please follow us and share this post: