There are numerous things in life that are a cause for concern. We’ve spoken about health problems like an addiction to smoking before on this site, and there are loads of other health issues that can cause you pain and suffering.
However, very few people are aware of one particular thing that could secretly be causing them harm; their posture. That’s right, your posture is more powerful than you think, and there are many health studies to support this. In this piece, we’ll give you some tips on how to maintain perfect posture as well as the reasons why it’s important. By the time you’ve finished reading you’ll be reaping all the rewards from standing and sitting properly.
How to Maintain Good Posture
Good standing posture is easily characterized by a few points.
- Point 1: Your head and neck should be in a neutral position aligned with your spine, not moved forward or hyperextended backward.
- Point 2: Your chest should be nice and open with your shoulders back and down with a nice straight back. There should be no rounding forwards of your shoulders or hunch in your upper back.
- Point 3: Your hips should be in a neutral position without your pelvis tilted forwards or backward. Lower back should be neutral with no aggressive arch, and your bum shouldn’t be sticking out too much making you look like Donald Duck.
- Point 4: Legs should be straight, and knees shouldn’t be flexed or put under any stress, all your weight should be evenly distributed between the heels of your feet.
When sitting down, you should try and keep your upper body in the same postural alignment while ensuring your feet are planted on the floor, and you aren’t extending your legs outwards.
So, how do you maintain this posture? Well, there are a few things you can do. Firstly, if you have severe posture problems, it’s a good idea to visit a physiotherapy practice. Look for somewhere like Bodyworks that does deep tissue massages to help relieve tight muscles that are pulling you into a bad posture. Next, you should avoid sitting for long periods of time Stand up and have breaks if your job requires you to sit down. Get up, walk around, stretch out your hips and chest to help maintain a good posture.
Why Is Perfect Posture Powerful?
Below, you will see all of the amazing benefits that a perfect posture can bring to your life:
- Helps you breathe easier as your chest is opened up giving your lungs more space to work and inhale more air.
- Relieves you of common and chronic pains in your neck, back, knees, and ankles.
- Naturally strengthens your core muscles in your abdominals, back, and glutes.
- Boosts your mood and makes you feel more confident – sitting or standing with a slouched posture is proven to cause negative thoughts and make you feel bad.
Now, you can see how to unlock the power of perfect posture, and why posture is so powerful. Use this life hack to become a lot healthier and free yourself of any pain you might be suffering.